Author Topic: 1969 Z/28 Firewall markings  (Read 1984 times)

davesz/28

• View Profile
1969 Z/28 Firewall markings
« on: September 21, 2024, 06:06:54 PM »
Hey guys I'm restoring my Van Nuys '69 Z/28..When I removed the driver fender I noticed numbers 870 written on the firewall..Is anyone out there familar with this writing?

Thanks Dave

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Z/28 Firewall markings
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2024, 06:49:02 PM »
Prior CRG discussion about markings on cars built at the Van Nuys Assembly Plant:

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=14307.0

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2024, 11:05:19 PM »
It's likely the final assembly sequence #.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2024, 05:09:45 PM »
Interesting topic and one that I have been doing research on for a number of years, and try to photo document when I find them. 

I have seen body build sequence numbers on survivor 1st Gen Camaros that included the same number on the firewall and written on the inside surface of the lower front valance panel as a final subassembly of the entire front fenders and grill. At the Norwood assembly plant, the body from the firewall rearward was near completed by Fisher body, while the the front sheet metal subassembly was completed on Chevrolet's final assembly side of overall build process. According to the book Echoes of Norwood, a great book about the history of the plant, it explains Norwood at some point in time starting writing a body sequence number on the firewall from 001 - xxx or the final number body built each day.  The next day, the plant would start over with 001 accordingly. It was easier for the assembly operators to see the large number written on the firewall rather than read the small body number embossed on the body trim tag.  The sequence numbers helped operators match specific parts to the correct car moving down the assembly line. When the body was complete the body build "broadcast sheet" taped to the firewall (shown in the picture) was transferred and taped to the inside front glass. There is a good picture of this in the Echoes of Norwood book.

I have also seen the body sequence number written on the top surface of the inner heater core box, on top of the fuel tank, and occasionally on the inside surface of the spare tire rim.  My 05A '69 Norwood build Z28 had "63" written on the top surface of the heater core box and on the top surface of the fuel tank.  There is a discussion on CRG where folks have shared pictures of their original sequence numbers on these components. It appears when the body broadcast sheet was published daily thru the assembly operations, and the subassembly folks must have written the sequence number on parts ahead of when the car showed up at their assembly stations.  I stand corrected on this but not sure why this practice has been seen on some parts.  What is interesting, the fuel tank was common on all Camaros regardless of engine size and option content.  This leads to my speculation that some fuel tank subassembly was completed prior to the body showing up at the assembly station. I assume/speculate that the specific fuel sending unit for an SS or car with a vapor return line which required two fuel lines run front to back vs. Z28 or car that did not include a vapor return line and had a single fuel line installed. Thus, several fuel tanks were preassembled and had a body sequence number written on it to be ready for the corresponding car when it showed up in the assembly station.  Off-line preassembly of some components saved time.  The spare tire was specific to a Z28 or SS car with 15-inch rims vs. a car that called for a standard 14" spare tire rim.

Attached is a picture of the body-in-white sheet metal assembly process on a 1st Gen Camaro. As I studied the picture and enlarged it, it shows a sequence number 17 in the upper surface of the trans tunnel, on the car the operator is positioning the sheet metal top onto. The next Camaro in line includes what appears to be a 18 written in the same location. 

Thanks in advance if folks could share pictures of any original body and component sequence numbers.

Dave

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2024, 05:10:55 PM »
Here is a pic of the number 18 Camaro next in line.

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2024, 05:42:20 PM »
As I think more about this topic, I can understand why a body sequence number would have been written on exterior surface the interior heater core housing. This was to quickly identify and match the correct unit to the car as it approach the assembly station. There were the (4) combinations of SB and BB housing assemblies with and without AC.   Since I have photo documentation of the number "63" written on my heater core box and fuel tank, I replicated it on these two components during the restoration.  I wrote "63" on my lower front valance.  I may decide to also write it on the firewall but waiting to see it on a survivor built in the April - May - June 1969 time frame.     

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2024, 12:25:24 AM »
Here are pictures of the "63" written on my fuel tank and on the interior heater core housing. The marking was on the upper driver's side corner of the fuel tank, and located on the heater box where I placed the sticky note.

If others can share similar pictures of their original body sequence markings on the firewall, lower from valance panel, spare tire, and any other components would be great. Please include a note the assembly plant, year, and trim tag build date will help define a time period during the 1967, '68, and/or '69 model year when the sequence numbers were applied. If you could also include the VIN number, this will more specific.

I'll search and note where the related topic is located on CRG and let you know.

Thanks,
Dave     

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2024, 12:46:45 AM »
I found the related post to this topic. It's under "Originality/Gas Tank and Heater Core Markings" dated back to Feb. 2022.  There was a lot of very interesting contributions and pictures from the CRG community.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2024, 04:58:58 AM »
There were 2 different sequence/rotation numbers - one for the Fisher side, one for the Chevrolet side. They will not be the same #. It's not like Norwood invented this - sequence numbers have been used for years by all auto manufacturers. Noone looks at the VIN or body # - it's all about the rotation #. Every assembly was pre-assembled off-line, from steering linkage to shift linkage. And then ID'd with the sequence #.  You need sequence #15 to be 15x7" Z28 wheels, not 14x6's. It's not good when things get out of sequence - I've seen short-bed trucks go down the line with long-beds on them - all the parts were put in the bed and the beds were switched in Repair.
That is not a broadcast sheet. Broadcast sheets were only on the Chevrolet side. Fisher had UOIT's.
JohnZ's article has lots of assembly pictures in it, including broadcast sheets. http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml
Kurt S
CRG

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2024, 01:16:44 PM »
Thanks Kurt.  Interesting!