Author Topic: How to strip 1969 Camaro Rear Spolier  (Read 772 times)

Iowa Jon

• View Profile
How to strip 1969 Camaro Rear Spolier
« on: August 22, 2024, 08:22:26 PM »
Hi all,  I need to strip the paint of my rear spoiler.  My understanding is that it is made of SMC Fiberglass (Sheet Molded Compound). What is the best way to remove the paint?

Thanks,  Jon

uscrichter

• View Profile
Re: How to strip 1969 Camaro Rear Spolier
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2024, 09:25:55 PM »
I use what they call aircraft remover from just about any auto place, it is water based unlike the old "Good " paint strippers and won't usually go down past the primer, then I use a fine sandpaper to take it down to the plastic, the other method would be to soda blast it if you have a blaster.

Iowa Jon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2024, 03:18:56 PM »
Hi, Thanks for the response.  You are right I used Aircraft stripper back in the 80's and it was strong.  The fumes would take the paint off.  I was leary to use it on the Fiber Glass spoiler,  thinking it would melt it.  I went and bought some new aircraft stripper and tried it on a old  fender.  You are right it is not near as strong.  I may try on the underside of the spolier and see what happens.  Thanks for the advice,  Jon

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2024, 11:06:48 PM »
Some of the newer strippers are junk. They reformulated the Klean Strip brand to a better aggressive version and it was great like the old stuff. Then certain states like CT stopped selling it. And this is at a jobber where shops like myself buy it. Someone I know got another brand at HD that worked well but I don't recall the name. I may have been Rustoleum's new formula which I've tried and it was "OK". It shouln't hurt the 'glass like it can to bumper covers which hobby people rarely have to contend with. Common sense dictates to try it first. It helps if you abrade the paint with coarse grit before application. Disappointing strippers are no fun.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2024, 12:39:27 AM »
You can try the "non-toxic" strippers - but I'm not too keen on them.  May work - may not.

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2024, 06:34:00 PM »
That's my point! the new chemical strippers don't do a good job which intern allows the paint removal without damaging fiberglass and plastics, unlike the now banned Methylene Chloride removers in the past which if left on too long could ruin the Gel Coat. The new ones are a real PITA needing many applications and won't even phase Epoxy sealers, I just stripped a '59 Vette and had to mechanically sand the original factory base sealer after stripping the lacquer topcoat and primer.

Iowa Jon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2024, 07:35:38 PM »
Some of the newer strippers are junk. They reformulated the Klean Strip brand to a better aggressive version and it was great like the old stuff. Then certain states like CT stopped selling it. And this is at a jobber where shops like myself buy it. Someone I know got another brand at HD that worked well but I don't recall the name. I may have been Rustoleum's new formula which I've tried and it was "OK". It shouln't hurt the 'glass like it can to bumper covers which hobby people rarely have to contend with. Common sense dictates to try it first. It helps if you abrade the paint with coarse grit before application. Disappointing strippers are no fun.

Hi Sauron,  I went with Uscrichter's suggestion and the Aircraft Stripper did not do much to the bottom of the spoiler.  So now I think I will try hitting it with a coarse grit and then a coat of stripper.  I tried messaging you on a paint question but it does not appear my question sent?  I will try messaging you again for your advice.  Thanks , Jon

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2024, 09:49:26 PM »

Hi Sauron,  I went with Uscrichter's suggestion and the Aircraft Stripper did not do much to the bottom of the spoiler.  So now I think I will try hitting it with a coarse grit and then a coat of stripper.  I tried messaging you on a paint question but it does not appear my question sent?  I will try messaging you again for your advice.  Thanks , Jon
I just read the PM. I usually get email notifications about PMs but perhaps the settings changed.