Author Topic: Should not ask here but…..  (Read 517 times)

DeanZ10

• View Profile
Should not ask here but…..
« on: August 16, 2024, 01:12:24 AM »
I am not having luck even getting into the 4 gen sites to ask this question. Hopefully someone knows the answer. I have 30 yr anniversary 97 SS convertible. Used to have a z28 with the Same issue.
When you pop the trunk, should the lift cylinders be strong enough to lift the trunk up and not immediately lock back. If so, mine are shot. Doesn’t appear that they are available from GM anymore.
Is there a replacement cylinder that is strong enough to get lid up after popping??
Thx
Dean

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
Re: Should not ask here but…..
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2024, 03:33:22 AM »
Classic Industries has the gas struts that keep the trunk open on your Camaro convertible:

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/chevrolet/camaro/parts/10193275.html

These struts are also available from other vendors if they are not in stock at Classic Industries.

DeanZ10

• View Profile
Re: Should not ask here but…..
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2024, 05:48:51 AM »
Thanks for the response!
I know there are several replacement cylinders. I think the SS spoiler may be a bit heavier than the Z28 spoiler.
Hoping to hear back from another owner to learn if in fact once you pop the trunk, should it stay open?
Currently I have to open the latch with key fob while pulling trunk open at same time. If I push the release inside the car then walk back, the trunk will be locked again.
Also, this car has 12k miles, so would prefer original GM but if they can’t keep trunk open after pushing the button, then will prefer a stronger cylinder. Hope this makes some sense.
Again apologies for posting here.
Thanks