Author Topic: Coker tire failure  (Read 3582 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Coker tire failure
« on: June 25, 2024, 01:45:33 AM »

As you all probably do too, I always do a walk around and check the tires including the inner and outer walls. This is what I found today before heading to a local cruise. This happened between this past Saturday and today. There are only smooth blacktop roads by me so no chance of a pothole damaging the sidewall. The date code on the sidewall is March 2018 for these Coker Firestone Wide Oval D70-14 redlines which I had mounted in April 2018. Probably 2000 miles on them, if that much. The other 3 look good but it doesn't give me a warm feeling to know they are the same age.
  Oh well! 

Mike

67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Coker tire failure
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2024, 11:40:27 AM »
Good catch and a good reminder to all of us.  Have you reached out to Coker to see if there is any chance of a replacement?  Granted its been 6 years now so I doubt it would be covered.

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2024, 08:25:13 PM »
According to the information on the Coker website, most of their tires are guaranteed for the life of the tread, subject to proration for wear:

https://www.cokertire.com/blog/warranty

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2024, 10:49:28 PM »
And to have a fire extinguisher with you always in your car

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2024, 01:22:16 PM »
According to the information on the Coker website, most of their tires are guaranteed for the life of the tread, subject to proration for wear:

https://www.cokertire.com/blog/warranty

That is surprising in this day and age.

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2024, 01:34:07 AM »
That Life of the tread warantee reminds me of this lady... lol

https://www.facebook.com/reel/2163042557398521

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2024, 10:45:12 AM »
Mike - what ever happen?  How did Coker treat you?

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2024, 02:04:29 PM »
Hi Camaronut,

Sorry for the delay reply. I've been out of the country for a while.
Coker never got back to me even writing them twice. One last effort will be to call their phone number.
The tires are 6 years old so I figure the pro-rating wouldn't amount to much.
The other tires will be just as risky to drive, IMO. I live out in the country so driving at 55mph+ speeds on open side roads is common, and I don't trust the other 3 tires anymore as related to sudden sidewall failure. Also, this NTSB report from 2014 on sidewall failures vs. age still stays in my mind. Though this only reports on radial tires.
It's interesting reading. https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Documents/2014_Tire_Safety_SYM_Panel_4b_Kane.pdf

I'm looking at Diamond Back radial redline tires as a possible replacement. My show days for points are over so I just enjoy the occasional drive on nice days and having non-correct radials isn't an issue.  Based on the recommend 6 year life of a tire as the report is suggestion,  I can just buy the Coker tires again. But the price sure went up on them!

Mike

67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2024, 09:47:59 PM »
Recent postings on the Better Business Bureau website about Coker Tire indicate a lot of negative customer feedback:

https://www.bbb.org/us/tn/chattanooga/profile/tire-dealers/coker-tire-company-0483-1588/customer-reviews

Sad that Coker would not reply to any of your letters, even if they denied to replace your tire or give you some compensation.

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2024, 11:02:00 PM »
From the Coker Site:

Tire Warranty
We want you to be pleased with your purchase! Our tires are guaranteed to be free from defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the tread. Adjustment is made on a prorated basis (you pay for tread wear used). We are not responsible for tire and tube failure due to improper mounting, mechanical failure or improper alignment of the vehicle. Coker Tire does not offer any guarantee of fitment for any particular purpose and limits its liability to the purchase price of the item. All tires and tubes should be installed by properly trained individuals. Dimensions for tires listed are not scientifically measured and may vary depending on rim widths and inflation. Warranty returns also require an RMA number.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

red69

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2024, 02:28:18 PM »
I would reach out to Coker by telephone, I purchased Firestone Wide 60 Ovals for one of my cars. The balance never seemed correct. After some time had passed, I took them to be rebalanced on a Hunter Road Force balancer. Shop said two would balance and two were not acceptable. I contacted Coker by phone, and they sent me two new tires freight free. Just my experience.