Author Topic: 1969 Camaro Carpet to Rear Interior Side Panel Fitment  (Read 210 times)

Krateness

• View Profile
1969 Camaro Carpet to Rear Interior Side Panel Fitment
« on: June 20, 2024, 01:03:55 AM »
Hey everyone, I’m a bit lost on how these 2 pieces interact and haven’t been able to find a solid source of information for how the factory handled this area. I have the original carpet but was not the one who removed it to see how it was. I have the original interior side panel as well.

I’ve had a bunch of people tell me that it needs to be tucked and I’ve seen people say that the factory didn’t tuck it which a factory appearance is what I’m trying to do. If it has to be tucked what happens with the flap I’ve circled in red? Can’t be trimmed because my factory panel still has it complete. So it’s it tucked under and sort of pinched in this material?

Likewise if it isn’t tucked, how is it held/kept laid down against the panel?

Any help is appreciated

KevinW

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Camaro Carpet to Rear Interior Side Panel Fitment
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2024, 12:37:47 PM »
Didn't the info I posted on your (same) thread in Yenko.net help you?

Krateness

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2024, 01:15:41 PM »
Didn't the info I posted on your (same) thread in Yenko.net help you?

Hey Kevin, I’m still in the process of letting my carpet layout and relax. I figured with the time I’m waiting, I would pool the same question here as I couldn’t find it on this site either. Your information is good and is the likely path I’ll head down if nothing else turns up in a timely matter. I’m going to try and tackle it this weekend.

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2024, 04:05:11 PM »
I just recently replaced the carpet in my 1969 with ACC's carpet.  I am very pleased with ACC's pre-molded carpet which is include the correct pre-cut seams for the front seat tracks. 

I allowed that flap of vinyl material to overlap onto the floorboard then trimmed the carpet to fit snug against and hug interior panel.  I cut the carpet about 1/8” – 1/4" longer than needed to make sure it stayed snug against the interior panel. Make sure the carpet is relaxed. I left my carpet in the direct hot sun for about an hour before installing the back section first, then the front section.  A  steamer can also be used to warm the carpet and smooth out any wrinkles.  I don't have a steamer but the hot sun really help warm and soften the carpet and allow it to push into  place in the foot wells, etc. Make sure to push the carpet down into the footwells BEFORE you trim it.  If you do not do this, when you step onto the carpet in the footwell, the trimmed edge will pull away from the interior panel. You can always trim additional carpet material later after it is installed and relaxes in the car

To help keep the vinyl flap in place, and the carpet in place over the vinyl, I used several drops of adhesive from a hot glue gun.  The carpet will also be held in place with the seal plate.  I'll post a photo if it would help I get home from work this evening.

Dave
e