Author Topic: Firewall Paint color for PPG Deltron  (Read 1868 times)

Iowa Jon

• View Profile
Firewall Paint color for PPG Deltron
« on: July 12, 2024, 09:10:26 PM »
Does anyone have a paint code or mix ratio for 1969 Camaro firewall black color.  We have tried 50/50 flat/gloss.  Today I tried more flat 70/30.  Still really shinny.  Did a spray out of flat black and it was really flat.  Any help would be great.  Needs to be in PPG Deltron product line.  Thanks ,  Jon

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Firewall Paint color for PPG Deltron
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2024, 01:09:45 AM »
I have a PPG black deck with various gloss levels, and they have a ratio sheet for each line. I use their commercial line (AUE LG 360) and that is the correct sheen. Black Concept price has increased dramatically, as have all Deltron prices. I try to offer and provide customers with a less expensive product with the same quality, even though it's their coin to spend. Not all jobbers sell the commercial line.

Iowa Jon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2024, 10:11:55 AM »
Thanks Sauron, my Auto Body Paint supply shop opens Monday morning. I will check out this product.  We always buy a Defleet Essentials Line ESSS, etc for our work trucks, Jeeps, farm equipment etc.  It is a great commercial product. It sprays excellent. It seems to hold up well with a lot of abuse.  UV protection they claim is not as good as base clear, but for our applications its been a great affordable choice. They also offer many factor automotive color choices.  We did try some spray outs with the Defleet Line but no success and it is to expensive to keep buying quarts of paint.  I figured Deltron and the high end stuff would probably be used more by the guys on this site then the commercial line. We will probably still spray the body with Deltron. However anywhere I can save some money and still have a good color match is fine for me. 

Paint prices are ridiculous!!   Thanks again,  Jon

PS -  I have never tried clearing over Defleet Essential line.  They say it can be done for better UV protection. 

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2024, 03:40:23 PM »
I've shot Essential satin (approx 30% gloss). You'll be fine. I'd post pics but appearnce can change with lighting and screen representation.

Iowa Jon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2024, 12:26:07 AM »
Yes,  lighting can really change the look of paint.  I have a 72 hour window before I have to wet sand with 400.  So hopefully I can get the paint Monday morning and get another coat of the correct sheen applied. I laid 2 coats down on Friday of the wrong sheen. So hopefully with your help I can correct it on Monday.  Thanks Again ,  Jon

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2024, 12:34:02 AM »
Just scuff it with a grey scotchbrite if outside the window. No need to wetsand. More work.

Iowa Jon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2024, 04:51:56 PM »
Hi Sauron,  Firewall turned out great! In my opinion.  Probably not exactly a perfect match to GM but im happy.  Ended up shooting with your recommendation.  I shot PPG ESSS 911678 Flat black.. I filled the 6:1:1 cup with 3 parts Semi Gloss and 6 parts Flat Black so maybe a little more than 30% Semi Gloss in the mix.  This got me to 9 on the cup.  added ESH 200 hardener and ESX 520 Slow Activator.  It was about 74 degrees inside.  Humidity was a little high.  It laid down really good.  Been drying for 3 hours.  Thanks for the help,  Jon

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2024, 03:20:43 AM »
My shop used ESSS 911678 for the inner fenders and underside of the hood.   I used it for the control arms as well, mixed per direction (6:1:1 I believe).   Pretty spot on sheen/gloss level in my opinion.    My IG link has pictures for the control arms for reference.
https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed
'70 Camaro SS L78

Iowa Jon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2024, 10:45:35 PM »
Hi Hans,  yeah we did 70% Flat and 30% semi gloss.  Seems to look close to original.  I have painted off road vehicle's with the Defleet line and it seems to hold up pretty well. For the price I figured that the firewall and undercarriage, inner fenders could could help me save some money towards buying base/clear for the rest of the body.  Jon

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2024, 11:36:05 AM »
Delfleet and the commercial line of PPG are quite durable. Anything in the automotive line is more expensive but quality is the same and sometimes the chemistry is as well. For instance: I use PPG CRE epoxy. PPG VR2050 primer in their Vibrance line is the same thing but more expensive.

70z28lt1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2024, 03:15:23 PM »
The Delfleet Essential can also be flatted with the DX-10-FLT flattener.  A good start is 6:1:!:3 paint:hardener:activator:flattener