Author Topic: 1969 Camaro Ignition Lock and key buzzer  (Read 3394 times)

blackss69

• View Profile
1969 Camaro Ignition Lock and key buzzer
« on: June 21, 2016, 01:35:43 AM »
I had to replace the ignition lock assembly on my steering column.  I used a Standard Auto Parts quality lock.  When I installed the new lock (after changing the key tumblers) I noticed the lock has a gap of about 1/8 inch between the lock and the steering column housing and can be pushed in and out about 1/8 inch.  The key buzzer works if you push the lock in.  If the lock is in the out position with the 1/8 inch gap the buzzer will not work.  The lock is correctly retained in the column housing and if you look in the hole for the buzzer switch you can correctly see the tab in the lock.  The lock seems to have more play (in and out) than normal.  All the other functions of the lock work successfully. 

This was not a problem with the original lock (missing the chrome bezel).  Has anyone had a similar problem with a replacement lock?  The column housing does not appear to be damaged. 

Thanks

blackandbluecamaros

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Camaro Ignition Lock and key buzzer
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 08:34:34 PM »
GM used so many parts in so many cars that some times you see something for sale that will work but is not the exact replacement. If look your old one it might be a little shorter. I bought a tilt column for my old 69 at a parts meet that fit fine but wiring for turn signal and ect. was not right. I called the guy and new what was wrong asap. He said it was an Oldsmobile unit and he forgot to relocate wires. He later said he found Olds, Pontiac, and others up into the 70,s that fit but sometimes not the exact part. I have also ordered parts for my GTO and was sent Chevelle parts, they worked but were not the same.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition