JohnZ's Technical Articles
The following are technical articles written by CRG member John Hinckley
(aka JohnZ) for Corvette Enthusiast Magazine over the past several years.
There are also several relevant Tech Columns from the Corvette Enthusiast
Magazine that respond to a reader's question about a technical problem.
We are pleased to be able to publish these articles on the CRG site.
They provide a wealth of practical information on relevant topics.
©2010-2014, Camaro Research Group
Primary Author -
Version: Tuesday, 19-Apr-2016 20:31:01 EDT
Also included are links to his CRG Research Reports, including the comprehensive
Assembly Process report.
The articles are in pdf format and Adobe Reader
is required to view them. It is free to download at
Adobe. Some of the files are large (up to 5 MB).
John's articles and columns are the copyright property of the Camaro Research
Group, and are subject to the same restrictions
as any other data on our web site.
CRG Research Reports, by John Hinckley
Technical Articles, by John Hinckley
Tech Bench Columns, by John Hinckley
Each of these responds to a reader's question about a technical problem and offers recommendations and solutions.
Fast Idle Tech
- Explains how to adjust choke/fast idle on Holley carburetors with manifold-mounted remote choke thermostats.
- Explains the differences between solid and hydraulic lifters.
Oil Prime Tool Tech
- Explains how oil pump prime tools work and how to use them.
- Explains the differences between M22 and M20/21 transmissions.
Radiator Cap Tech
- Explains how the vacuum/pressure radiator cap works.
Timing Set Tech
- Explains the relationship between the "dots" on the crank and cam sprockets and distributor firing positions.
Wheel Paint Tech
- Explains how wheels were painted at the factory.
Battery Disconnect Tech
- Explains the two different types of battery disconnect switches and how to install them.
1917 V8 Tech
- Discusses the 1917-1918 Chevrolet overhead-valve V8 engine and its contribution to current V-8 engine design.